A State by State Licensure Guide

Finding a Social Work Degree Program

As with many professions, education is the foundation for a career in social work. Selecting the appropriate social work degree program or a related degree program is imperative no mater what one's current academic attainment is.

Some states license baccalaureate educated social workers, however, their scope of practice may be quite limited as compared to that of a master's educated social worker licensed in the same state. Much of the decision weighs on what the prospective social worker or student would like to accomplish professionally and where that person is with their current academic attainment...

Earn a Master of Social Work degree online from the top-ranked USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work. This is a CSWE-accredited program. The GRE is not required to apply. It is possible to complete this degree in two years or less. A Bachelor's degree is required. Request information!

Earn your Master of Social Work online from the University of Denver's top-20 school of social work. CSWE-accredited. Learn more.

The Worden School of Social Service at Our Lady of the Lake University’s online Master of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) Commission on Accreditation and is designed for working adults with or without a social work bachelor’s degree. Click here to request information about The Worden School of Social Service at Our Lady of the Lake University Online Master of Social Work program.

Click Here to find Human Services and Social Work Undergraduate and Master's degrees.

High School Students and Those with some College Education

A high school student will want to read this article "How to Become a Social Worker" to gain an understanding of the process and the importance of selecting a CSWE accredited bachelor's in social work program. Enrolling in a CSWE undergraduate social work program en route to a social work career is not required as long as the high school graduate understands that by pursuing a non-CSWE accredited undergraduate program will result in not being eligible for licensure as an LBSW, in states that do license baccalaureate level social workers, and that they will have to pursue a master's degree in social work that has been accredited by CSWE to be eligible for social work licensure.

Pursuing an undergraduate degree in another field is an option. Common bachelor's degree programs include human services, psychology, sociology, counseling and criminal justice. An undergraduate degree in one of these disciplines may provide more flexibility if one changes their mind down the line, deciding social work licensure and a career in the field is not for them. These programs can also provide a solid foundation for a CSWE accredited master's in social work program.

The high school graduate should understand that often fewer of the credits earned in a non-CSWE accredited program will transfer and count toward the master's in social work program credit hours. Read "Why Pursue a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work" to learn more about transfer credits and other relevant information pertaining to a BSW.

Click Here to search the CSWE Accredited Program Directory of bachelor's degrees in Social Work.

College Graduate with a Non-CSWE Accredited Degree

The person who has graduated with a 4-year degree in another field will need to pursue a CSWE accredited master's in social work program to be eligible for social work licensure. Read "Why Pursue a Master's in Social Work" to learn more about these programs and steps to take.

View Schools by State